Tenant Information

Tenant Fraud – Things You Should Know

Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program Information

The Delaware Metropolitan Housing Authority is a Federal Government agency.  Our purpose is to assist the low income families, elderly, handicapped and disabled persons to enjoy the benefits of safe, decent and sanitary housing.

In order to qualify for housing assistance you must be very low-income.  The income limits are based according to the number of persons in your household and are as follows:
1 person     $24,400.00      4 people     $34,800.00     7 people     $43,200.00
2 people     $27,850.00     5 people     $37,600.00      8 people     $45,950.00
3 people     $31,350.00      6 people     $40,400.00

We assist you by paying a portion of your rent to the landlord.  We calculate 30% of you income and subtract that figure from the payment standard established by the Department of Housing and Urban Development that you qualify for based on the number of persons in you household.

We inspect the units before we go under contract to make sure it is in decent, safe and sanitary condition based on HUD’s Housing Quality Standards and meets all fire and health codes of Delaware.

We are not an emergency agency!

We must interview applicants and issue funding according to the waiting list.  For instructions on how to apply for assistance, go to the “Application Process” link on this website.  Honorably discharged Veterans always go to the top of the list.  When your name reaches the top of the waiting list, you will be notified via mail of an appointment.

It is very important that you keep your appointment as scheduled.  If you do not keep this appointment or contact our office to reschedule, we will assume you are no longer interested in rental assistance and we will go to the next person on the list.

In the mean time, if you have a change of address, please notify our office.

When it is your turn to be assisted, bring the following information with you to your appointment:

  1. Birth certificates for each member of your family.
  2. Social Security cards for each member of your family.
  3. Marriage license if you are married.
  4. Discharge papers (DD-214) if you or your spouse is a veteran or the spouse of a deceased veteran that indicates character of service and the reason for separation.
  5. Proof of residency at the time you completed you application. (utility bill, driver’s license, voter’s registration card or any other approved document)
  6. Current income verification.